Wednesday 29 December 2010

Ecuador: I'm glad to see you!

(Written at 11.30pm on Tuesday 28th December)

It's amazing how quickly being able to lie horizontal and eat using real cutlery can (almost) erase the memory of literally bgging the same airline to let you board a plane you can still see on the tarmac the night before.

Yes, I got an upgrade and the world was suddenly a much brighter place! Business class has to feature in my top 10 greatest inventions ever!

I'm so happy to be here in Ecuador. It was wonderful fighting my way through the hoards at Guayaquil airport (with luggage!) to find Jon there waiting for me.

That's not to say that I didn't have fun in Madrid in the end. Valia and I certainly made the best of our unanticipated day and were really lucky to be stuck there on a crisp bu sunny public holiday. Spanish families were out in force enjoying time together and I have to admit to liking the place.

...But not as much as I like Quito. After a cuppa, a shower and a few errands, Jon and I were back at the airport late morning for our short flight to Ecuador's capital city to practice living at altitude before our volcano climb on Thursday.

And practice we did! We got the Teleferico (cable car) from Quioto up to 4,100 metres and set off uphill at a pace... for about 10 metres beffore we both wheezed to a grinding halt!

However, adopting a more sensible pace and stopping every few minutes we managed to go a lot further than we thought possible. We're both quite stubborn so kept challenging each other to reach another milestone!

You kinda get used to the sound of your heart pounding in your ears and the inability to totally focus your gaze on anything. The headache is a bit harder to ignore but nothing a couple of Nurofen and a lot of water can't fix.

And the views! Well, they make it all worthwhile. Totally hypnotic. Coming down just as the sun was starting to set was sunning. I only wish the photos would do it justice.

Right, I must get some kip. Early start tomorrow for the Quilotoa loop. Not sure when I´ll get to post this but hopefully soon.

Buenos Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment